Friday, November 25, 2011

Every little bit

It turns out that changing the world is trickier than I thought.

My big plan of feeding all of Winnipeg over the holidays (well, not quite) hasn’t exactly turned out as I planned… but I’m not giving up yet.

I’m still convinced people do want to do good—but as I’ve mentioned time and time again on this blog, there are only so many hours in the day.

The first problem was that I underestimated just how busy students are, especially as the end of term assignments start raining down. Everyone has deadlines and jobs to worry about, so finding the time to get organized and even receive feedback from people who want to help has been challenging. 

Image from http://goo.gl/FY9Ur
I think this year the best course of action will be to at least have each of the three CreComm sections sign-up to feed one family. Every little bit counts. Next year I’ll be more prepared and give myself plenty of time for the preparation that goes into organizing an initiative like this.

It’s a bit frustrating because I want to do it all. I’ve realized that what’s important is not making this particular project work--- it’s about doing something. Anything.

I think it’s important to point out that there are several students who are giving back in their own ways. Some have told me they make annual donations to Winnipeg charities and at least two of my classmates are signed up to work at soup kitchens over the holidays.

So, hopefully you’re inspired to donate your time or money this holiday, too. Check out the following sites for more details.

Siloam Mission:

Winnipeg Harvest:

Christmas Cheer Board

2 comments:

  1. Good for you - you're right, every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, so good! We've got the donation boxes set up in the TV studio and I hope they will be full by Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete